Parents and guardians are required to keep records of each student's home education program. The portfolio must include a  list of books the student reads and work-product samples from the year such as worksheets, writing samples, videos, computer programs, tests, and creative pieces. Records do not have to be comprehensive; several pages per subject from the study period is often sufficient. The year-end assessment -- a standardized test, teacher evaluation, or mutually accepted method agreed upon by the Participating Agency -- should also be maintained. These records must be kept a minimum of two years from the date instruction ended. Note that school districts cannot demand to review the student’s records, but they may be required for participation in school-sponsored activities, course placement, or proof against educational neglect.


Standardized tests are one of the ways to fulfill the annual assessment requirement. Numerous standardized tests are available and each have different administration requirements, fees, and scoring turn-around times. Some, but not all, are aligned with Common Core Standards. Students are expected to achieve a composite score at or above the 40th percentile per RSA 193-A. As of 2012 annual assessments are not required to be submitted to the Participating Agency, but results should be kept with the student's records for a minimum of two years.

Home educators may chose from a number of standardized tests such as the California Achievement Test (CAT), the Stanford Test, the Iowa Basic Skills Test (ITBS), and the Personalized Achievement Summary System (PASS). Many of these tests may be administered at home by parents, but consult the providers' website for particular information. Parents usually need to reserve the exam in advance for a specific time period and return it by a particular date.

Go to our Testing Services page for a list of providers.


This is one of the year-end assessments available to home educators. New Hampshire certified teachers, someone with reciprocal certification, or a teacher currently teaching in a nonpublic school may perform a homeschool year-end evaluation. They typically include a review of the portfolio and mementos from the school year such as playbills, records from sports programs, field trips, creative materials, and other work-product samples. Students must achieve "progress at a level commensurate with the child's age and ability" per RSA 193-A. This can be particularly favorable for unschoolers and students with special needs. The evaluation must be signed by parents to be considered complete, so do not sign it unless it is acceptable. Again, keep a copy with the student's records for a minimum of two years. We have compiled resources to help organize a portfolio.

It is important to find an evaluator who understands and supports your family's particular home education approach. Families should contact evaluators well in advance to know what information and documentation are required, the cost, availability, and to confirm credentials.

Go to our Teacher Evaluators & Proctors page for a list of some teachers who offer these services.

If you are a teacher and would like to be added to our evaluators list, please contact us at