In New Hampshire, homeschoolers may self-certify their children's completion of high school per Ed 315, the rules that govern home education.

Homeschoolers that follow RSA 193-A do not need to fulfill credits, take particular courses or tests, or pass a final matriculation exam in order to graduate. The requirement is to cover a list of broad subjects found in statute at some point in the child's grade 1 to 12 learning -- science, mathematics, language, government, history, health, reading, writing, spelling, the history of the constitutions of New Hampshire and the United States, and an exposure to and appreciation of art and music.

If a student completes the equivalent of high school prior to turning 18 years old, parents must file notice with the state Department of Education to satisfy compulsory attendance requirements per RSA 193:1, I(f)(2). If the student is 18 years of age or older, there is no need to file a notice with the NH Department of Education because the student is above the education attendance requirement age per RSA 193:1.

The NH Department of Education has an available form here, and GSHE created a completion notification letter that may be used.

It is highly recommended to maintain a copy of the notification. If sending a notice to the NHDE, it may be mailed to 101 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301-3860 or emailed to

Federal law recognizes that NH home educated students can self-certify graduation to be eligible for Federal Student Aid (FSA) funds.

If your teen's post-graduation pursuits require a transcript, we have information and tips on our High School & Beyond page.