Parents have the right to home educate their children with special needs.

The federal law, Child Find, requires all school districts, upon request of the family, to identify and evaluate any child from birth to age 21 in their area who may qualify for special education services. The request cannot be denied or limited only to those children enrolled in the local district schools and regardless of the severity of the disability. More information is available through Wrights Law.

Until the child is of compulsory attendance age (6 years old by September 30th of the current school year), the child is still eligible for special ed services through the district. If a family chooses to homeschool anytime after the child is of compulsory school age, the district is not obligated to provide those services; however, they may offer services to homeschooling families through RSA 189:49.

In keeping with NH's Equal Access statute, schools must provide access to curricular and co-curricular activities to homeschooled students with special needs if they choose to participate. Districts may limit availability based on enrollment of other students. Students with IEPs or 504s are entitled to have their accommodations in class.

More information is available in the NH Special Education Procedural Safeguards Handbook, updated February 2016. Reference Appendix D.

Many parents report that one of the best resources is the Parent Information Center (PIC) in Concord. They provide a variety of services including assistance over the phone, parent-to-parent support, advocacy training, and more. The Disability Rights Center, also in Concord, is another great resource if you need information, assistance, referrals, advice, and legal help.

We have additional private organizations listed here that offer developmental testing and counseling services. Sometimes families are able to have special education services covered through their health insurance.